Wednesday, July 29, 2009

hit the deck!

If I never mentioned anything about a deck in my previous posts, its because I never thought I'd just get a whim to build a deck. The only deck I thought about building so far was a deck on top of the roof, which is put off until fall or next year. In fact my original intentions for the backyard were to just cement most of the yard and leave a small amount of grass for my dog to piss on and maybe my drunk friends if it came down to it.

I then realized several days before my July 4th party, I needed a place to hang since the inside wasn't done and the "grass" (read - weeds) looked atrocious. So we embarked on an adventure and I decided to build a deck. Things got out of hand and went from a small, simple deck, to a larger and slightly more complicated one with the decking laid at 45 degree angles and a step up. Not that big of a deal, but I didn't plan this out really and it was the first deck I've done. Here goes nothing:



This is what I started out with. You can see my painting, debri, and work station.




Fast forward a bit. After wasting a lot of time at Home Depot, we purchased most of the supplies, leveled everything, decided to add the step up, continued to frame. Check out that back wall, I actually like it. To the left of the deck is a couple feet and then my neighbor, which I may put up a fence for some privacy.





And then here is the ALMOST finished product. We trimmed the tree back a bit, I still need to stain or waterproof the deck, put a step on the front, grey pavers around the side and front of the deck, but at least now I have a place to hang, drink, and eat.












No comments:

Post a Comment